A guy’s guide to buying Christmas lingerie
Lingerie is always a great gift idea for the special woman in your life, and putting some under the Christmas tree is the perfect way to show her just how sexy you think she is this festive season.
But with so many measurements to consider, buying bras and underwear for a partner can be a pretty intimidating task for guys who’ve never done it before. Unfortunately, writing letters to Santa in the hope that he’ll sort things for you probably won’t work. It’s a good job we’ve got you covered.
Knowing what to choose
The world of men’s underwear is super straightforward, but lingerie is a mind-blowing universe of types, fits and styles. Stuck on the difference between stockings and suspenders? Here’s a quick run-through of some of the trickier pieces to help you out:
- Bodies fit like a swimsuit, but look a whole lot sexier. There are quite a few different types of bodies, so keep on scrolling.
- Corsets are a structured body, designed to shape the waist and accentuate her curves.
- Basques are basically corsets, but without the structured boning.
- Cami suspenders are like a basque and suspender belt rolled into one.
- Waspies are cami-suspenders but without the top half.
- Bodystockings are full-length bodies, normally made from lace, fishnet or sheer material.
- If you’re looking at stockings, she’ll need a suspender belt to hold them up. Hold-ups, on the other hand, are designed to stay up on their own.
- Babydolls are delicate dresses with a floaty and feminine style.
- Cami sets are a relaxed looking top and shorts duo that make great nightwear.
- Although they’re not strictly lingerie, sexy Christmas costumes are another great option for some seductive festive fun.
Once you’ve made your mind up, colour and fabrics are the next things to decide on. Have a think about what she wears normally, ask her subtle questions or check her Instagram for any inspiration you might find. Do a little detective work and you’re bound to get a good idea of what she’d want to unwrap when Christmas Day comes.
That’s not to say that you shouldn’t give her something completely new. She’s maybe never had the confidence to try certain styles. Just remember, while you’ll definitely enjoy seeing her in it, lingerie is for her more than it is you. What do you think she’ll like? That matters much more than anything else.
Understanding bra sizes
Bra sizes are easy once you know how.
The label on a bra should include a number and letter (e.g. 34C). The number is the inches around her back, while the letter is her cup size.
If you don’t know her size off the top of your head (and let’s face it, few guys do), the easiest way to find out without asking is to take a look at the labels on the bras in her underwear draw.
When it comes to knickers, things are a little less complicated. These generally come in normal clothes sizes (e.g. 10), but depending on the lingerie you’re looking at, pieces may come in small, medium, large or extra-large sizes. If this is the case, take a guess based on other clothes she wears. Chances are you’ll be right on the money.
Don’t worry about getting it wrong
Don’t stress about getting the wrong size, colour or fit. Just like sex, buying lingerie for your significant other should be fun and exciting.
She’s still sure to appreciate the thought, and with our Christmas returns policy you’ve got more than enough time to exchange for an alternative or refund. Just bring it back to the store, or if you bought online, follow the instructions in your parcel.
Now you’ve got the lowdown on all things lingerie, take a look at our top lingerie gift ideas and find her the perfect Christmas present.